Loreena Isabel Irene McKennitt, née le 17 février 1957 à Morden au Manitoba, est une auteure-compositrice-interprète, chanteuse, harpiste, accordéoniste et pianiste canadienne. La qualité de ses compositions et de ses interprétations lui a donné une renommée internationale. Elle trouve l'inspiration de sa musique dans l'histoire des peuples celtiques.
The Visit, album, 1991[modifier]
Je discerne les lumières dans le lointain
Tremblantes dans le sombre manteau de la nuit
Les bougies et les lanternes dansent, dansent
Une valse pendant la Nuit de la Fête des Morts
I can see the lights in the distance
Trembling in the dark cloak of night
Candles and lanterns are dancing, dancing
A waltz on All Souls Night
- All Souls Night, Loreena McKennitt (trad. Wikiquote), Loreena McKennitt, album The Visit (1991 chez Quinlan Road).
Lost Souls, album, 2018[modifier]
Des châteaux anciens et des falaises montantes
Invoquées par la mer
Des rivages balayées par les vents, des brisants
Laissent libre cours à leur rage
Des arbres tortueux vieux et sincères
Se tiennent là recroquevillés et vigilants
Ancient castles and climbing cliffs
Summoned by the sea
Windswept shores and crashing waves
Twisting trees old and true
Stand huddled watchingly
- Ages Pas, Ages Hence, Loreena McKennitt (trad. Wikiquote), Loreena McKennitt, album LOst Souls (2018 chez Quinlan Road).
- (en) To be a catalyst is one of my life’s objectives. I’ve been inspired by many people who in turn have been catalysts. It’s very interesting to see the waves of interest come and go in Celtic territory. If I can be a catalyst for other people, that’s wonderful.
- « Loreena McKennitt. Times of discovery », Loreena McKennitt, Innerviews, 1991 (lire en ligne)
- (en) I have come to use the pan-Celtic history, which spans from 500 BC to the present, as a creative springboard. The music I am creating is a result of traveling down that road and picking up all manner of themes and influences, which may or may not be overtly Celtic in nature.
- « Page consacrée à son album The Mask and Mirror », Loreena McKennitt, Site officiel de Loreena McKennitt (Quinlan Road), 2014 (lire en ligne)
- (en) There is a wonderful old Chinese proverb that I love, "A good traveler has no fixed plans and is not intent on arriving". I think about my personal approach to musical projects much like a travel writer might approach the preparation for a book. You latch on to a certain theme or historical event and follow that into the unknown, while, at the same time, expanding on those themes.
- (en) Until the early nineties, I was under the impression that the Celts were this mad collection of anarchists from Ireland, Scotland and Wales. When I saw an exhibition in Venice, I discovered they were a vast collection of tribes originating from Middle and Eastern Europe as far back as 500 BC, and that over the centuries they migrated and integrated with people all over the world. So I've used this cultural history as a creative muse. With The Book Of Secrets in particular, I was interested in beginning with their earlier and more Eastern history.
- (en) One of the most wonderful and engaging things I've learned is that we are the culmination and extension of each other's histories and there is more that binds us together than separates us, and in discovering this, perhaps our needs are timeless and universal. I have a very deep interest in religion and spirituality. I like the Sufi perspective, which suggests that it is better to participate in the world than to become detached from the world.